We'll go over the steps necessary to employ your own SMTP server using a Gmail account. Provided you already have a registered account, you can start by:
1. Making sure you have enabled the Less Secure Apps option for your Google account: https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps
Attention: Before going further, please take notice of the email address you see in the top right corner of your account on that same page. If this is the desired address you wish to use for your SMTP server, proceed. If it isn't, please Sign out of the Google account you are seeing and Sign into the desired one. Then repeat step No.1.
2. Then, you will need to add an SMTP server by navigating to Account Settings -> Miscellaneous -> Mail Server SMTP Settings and clicking on the New SMTP Server button:
3. Choose a name for your Gmail server and fill in the settings as shown below:
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Auth Type: LOGIN (default)
Secure Type: SSL
Auto TLS: Yes
4. You are ready to test your settings by sending a Test email. Always use the same sender as your email:
Send email from: your-email-here
Send email to: any email you want
NOTE: As a security precaution, Google may require you to complete this additional step when signing in to a new device or application. To do so simply navigate to this URL: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/DisplayUnlockCaptcha and after a successful unlock use the test button from the step above again.
Google may still reject the login if additional 2-Step Verification is enabled like this from your Google Account Security Settings. Again, make sure it's the right account.
To get around this, please go into App Passwords and generate a new password.
Select Other (Choose a Custom name to remember it by) and after clicking on Generate, copy the 16-character password shown in the yellow box into your SMTP password setting from step No.3. Click on done and send a Test email.
If you still can't send a Test email, double-check all details you've entered in step No.3 for typos.
5. Save the SMTP settings. You will only be able to do that after a Test email has been successfully sent.
6. Set your new SMTP package as default by pressing Set As Default:
7. Navigate to Account Settings -> PAY-PER-VIEW -> Order Confirmation Emails and create a new template using your newly created SMTP package. Name it, then choose your Google SMTP package and finally Save it:
8. Set your order confirmation email template as Default by pressing Set As Default:
9. Create a new 2-Factor template. Name it, then choose your Google SMTP package and finally Save it:
10. Set the new 2-Factor template to be the Default for all your tickets, by clicking on Set As Default:
Congratulations! You now have your own SMTP Email server up and running.