Once you complete this setup, your viewers will be able to buy pay per view tickets from you using their credit cards, debit cards or PayPal balance.
HOT TO SET UP PAYPAL AS A PPV PAYMENT GATEWAY
- Go to the ⚙️ Settings tab.
- Find the Pay-Per-View 🔽 menu and click on it to expand it.
- Select the Payment Gateways tab.
- Click the Paypal Express gateway.
- Domain: Open the drop down 🔽 and select the PayPal domain that corresponds to your country. For example, if you're situated in the US, select paypal.com, but, if you're in the UK, select paypal.com/uk.
- Setup: Advanced Setup is the recommended option because it ensures that PayPal will instantly notify us when the viewer has paid. With Basic Setup, there may be some delays. When PayPal delays the notification, your viewers won't be able to start watching your paid content immediately.
- Credential: Select Signature.
- Open your PayPal account. (You need a business account for this.)
- Click the cogwheel ⚙️ in the top right. Go to Account Settings > Website Payments and click Update next to API Access (on the right)
- Scroll to NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic) and click Manage API credentials. If you're asked about the type of credential you want, select Signature.
- Click the Show links on all credentials. Then copy/paste each one of them back to the StreamingVideoProvider admin panel, e.g. API username goes to API username, and so on. When you're ready, click Done in PayPal.
- In PayPal, click the settings cogwheel ⚙️ in the top right corner again. Go to Account Settings > Website Payments. This time, click Update next to Instant payment notifications. You may see an information page the first time you do this. Click Choose IPN Settings.
- Enter this URL in the IPN Notification box: http://streamingvideoprovider.co.uk/index.php?l=ppv_pmt&a=pp_ipn
- Once the IPN has been set up, click the ☑️ I confirm I have completed the required setup tick box.
- 🔘 Enable Payment Gateway: This toggles your payment gateway on or off.
- 🔘 Show Payment Instruction Page: This option shows the text below it right after the viewer clicks the Buy button.
- Now simply click on the green ✔ Save button and your PayPal payment gateway will be live.
🔔 SPECIAL USE CASES
💱 Multiple currencies
If you plan to accept payments in currencies other than your PayPal default currency, follow these steps.
- Log in to PayPal.
- On the left-hand side, next to your PayPal Balance, there is a button More. Click it.
- Click Add a currency and select your currency from the list.
- Repeat until you add all currencies you expect your viewers to pay in.
📨 Already using the IPN Notification URL
There is no additional setup needed here but you may be wondering whether to keep your existing URL or replace it with StreamingVideoProvider's . If you're planning to receive recurring PPV payments (subscriptions), please make sure to use StreamingVideoProvider's IPN URL. In all other cases, it's alright to keep your existing IPN address although it's not recommended.
🈹 Non-English Video Title, PPV Ticket Title or Description. If you plan to publish your PPV content or tickets in other languages, you may need to complete one more step.
- Log in to PayPal
- Open this link in a new tab: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-language-encoding
- Click More Options
- Set Encoding to UTF-8 and select the Yes radio button below "Do you want to use the same encoding for data sent from PayPal to you (e.g., IPN, downloadable logs, emails)?"